Sunday, March 24, 2013

Back to blogspot!

 Above is my recently completed encaustic and mixed medium painting
"Japonais" ... 20 x 24

I had purchased some vintage Japanese accounting books (below ... from a Japanese website) and other vintage Japanese books, and these were embedded into the wax. I have also rubbed oil stick into the wax. As oil sticks also have wax, they are easier to rub into the surface in a controlled way.




This one is an older painting that I added . . guess what? . . circles!
"Semiotic Series, #3", 12 x 24
encaustic & mixed medium

This one has a lot of book pages embedded in the wax first, but as I worked, adding layers of wax, they became muted. This also has oil stick rubbed into the surface. The circles are pastel that are burnished into the wax with paper. The other two pieces in this series are sold, and another artist/facebook friend is interested in this one. It was also juried into an upcoming show, but Japonaise, above, was not. 

I'm noticing that I'm becoming more and more drawn to adding orange to my more neutral palette . . hence . . the first one.

I've had some life challenges since I last posted and just haven't felt like posting . . and haven't even been following others' blog posts! Facebook, Tumblr, and Pinterest have been enough for me. So much art to look at.

I'm still painting, but I have a lot of unfinished pieces.

Now I'm working on a large piece with oil and cold wax. It's for an upcoming show I may enter, however, because it's titled . . "Blooms, Bugs, & Beasts" . .
and I don't do those, I'm contemplating what kind of flower outline to position on the abstract surface composition.

I came across this sentence somewhere on the internet. I copied it along with it's author, because it spoke to me about the inner dance I'm feeling now about whether or not to return to combining realism with abstraction.  

"The artist should have the perfection
of a surgeon and the spontaneity of a child"

. . . Guillermo Foures


31 comments:

  1. I think this quote may be giving a nod in the 'yes' direction to the combination of abstract/realism. Your work knocks my socks off...and I can remember that piece before you added the circles. It is so wonderful, as is all of your work. You are an original. I am glad to see your posts whenever they come. Norma, x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pieces! I too have an antique Japanese accounting book/sales receipts (not sure which) that has been gathering dust in the studio. One of these days it will be used...most likely for rusting as that's what I do.

    The added circles are perfect in the second piece. Just the right feel to break the pattern of the lines and add a bit of depth. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. My thoughts about the circles exactly! I intend to do more with this Japanese script.

      Delete
  3. The addition of the transparent orange is quite striking. I am so drawn to this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary Ann . . thank you for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all so lovely. And the quote is interesting except for me personally a bit intimidating as I know I will never have the perfection of a surgeon. I'm mor wabi-sabi. Just love those Japanese account books and also your addition of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suki! Yes, I agree about the surgeon part. It's when I get into doing the face or figure that I want that part to be the basis . . loosely but realistically for me.

      Delete
  6. Jann, I really like the added rust. Your work is amazing! I'm remembering when you first started encaustics which wasn't all that long ago.... and look at you now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn! I sure have spent a lot of time learning to control the wax . . the next step is to let go!!

      Delete
  7. I have a love of earthy orange myself. I think its a lively life filled color and when used with neutrals I think it sings, and so does your work. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a commanding graphic--and distressed and ancient looking. Reminds me of what incredible influence Japanese art has had on modern art. It's like you don't have to know what it means--what it says is way more important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The symbolic nature of your pieces really appeals to me Jann, I am so drawn in by the depth in your work. Orange is a very healiing colour, perhaps you are bringing it in unconsciously...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kim! ... I *know* my subconscious is at work now with the orange .. I am SO drawn to symbology.

      Delete
  10. Welcome back Jann, I did not know you had recently posted and am glad I checked. I also have those types of Japanese account books and receipt books brought home from Kyoto.. aren't they wonderful.
    I think the wax highlights the beauty of the papers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jann, Thank you for leaving such a supportive and inspiring comment at my blog post on my health issues and artist block. Your support and help is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your work! I went back on my blog and found your comment. So glad I have the opportunity to see your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonne Année Jann, je vous souhaite de belles créations: Thibault

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Thibault. . et une bonne et heureuse année à vous aussi!

      Delete
  15. Welcome back! And great to see you have returned with a post highlighting such tremendous work!

    ReplyDelete