Sunday, March 13, 2011

Back to encaustics

I recently learned that my preference with mediums is to be able to subtract as well as add. So I'm going back to encaustic. Mmmm . . love it . . and do not 


  encaustic, collage, oil on panel

know why. It was quite a journey and a challenge to learn this medium, but I find it is a pleasure to work with, even with all it's challenges. I felt that I was getting very tense working with acrylic, and it was not a medium I could subtract from. The joy has come back to my painting! Hurray. I have another to post that will have one final tweek. I did TWO encaustic paintings yesterday! Amazingly this photo is very close to what my eye sees. I've set my camera back to automatic. Even with this photography class I'm taking, I understand the information explained during the class, but when I get home, it seems to have disappeared. Yaye for encaustic!!

I'm also going to start using oil and cold wax and am looking forward to that. I have learned a TREMENDOUS amount by looking at a lot of art on Tumblr. It started with looking at what I like, and now I'm putting the "pieces" together that I can use with my work, what appeals to me as far as tone, composition, color, etc. I think abstract is, at least for me, much more difficult than realism. 

I appreciate all of you followers. Thank you for following and visiting here. I value your input.

7 comments:

  1. Bonjour Jann, Bravo, j'aime votre cheminement. See you "sun" :-) à bientôt: thibault

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never really fully understood the encaustic medium... but i know a lot of artists are attracted to it. perhaps one day i will get the opportunity to learn exactly what it is and how it is done. this piece is absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thige . . merci beaucoup!

    Luthien . . if you ever do decide to explore encaustic, I am open to sharing what I have learned. I love oil paint. Encaustic is compatible with oil but not with acrylic. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful patterns of circles and squares. the quote too. the textures make it almost look like handmade paper in places. glad you have returned to what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Suki. Guess the "wax seduction" is still there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh noooo.... I wrote here before, but it got lost somehow.. Love your work with encaustic ! i think encaustic is just the perfect media for experimenting.... well done well done well done Jann :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How to solve the mysterious crop circles ... very nice ... :-)

    ReplyDelete